Last week, I expressed my embarrassment over the recent Mexico v. USA match. I wanted to read The Rivalry (and watch the Costa Rica match) before commenting further.
My take, from that one sentence, is Klinsmann is feeling a bit of pressure.
The USMNT Lineup (v. Mexico)
Probably the most confusing and misunderstood piece of Klinsmann's media pitch is this one (from The Rivalry):
Compared to this angle, just 12 months ago:
Yet, there was Dempsey and Bradley (and Beckerman and Beasley and...) in the starting lineup v. Mexico. In fact, looking at that roster (odd that Wood is missing from the roster):
- 23 players make up the roster
- Over half (12) play in MLS
- 7 of 11 starters play in MLS
- 5 of 7 starting spine players play in MLS
- Spine: Forwards (2), Central midfielders (2), Central defenders (2), Goalkeeper (1)
- Neither goal scorer (Cameron, Wood) plays in MLS
- 1 of 2 assists came from an MLS player
I don't understand how Klinsmann can talk both sides of the coin: Why let Bradley, Beckerman, Dempsey, et al play in these matches when they clearly are not playing at the "highest level possible".
When do World Cup qualifiers start?